"To transform our culture by creating a world where science and technology are celebrated and where young people dream of becoming science and technology leaders."
Dean Kamen, Founder
Our mission is to inspire young people to be science and technology leaders, by engaging them in exciting mentor-based programs that build science, engineering and technology skills, that inspire innovation, and that foster well-rounded life capabilities including self-confidence, communication, and leadership.
We are excited to present the 2019 Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Youth Advisory Committee Call for Nominations.
We are currently looking for students to join the FIRST ED&I Youth Advisory Committee!
Do you know of a student who might like to join FIRST in making a difference in areas of equity, diversity and inclusion? Would they be interested in a committee leadership role to help elevate the youth voice at FIRST? Nominate them today!
Please complete this form to nominate a FIRST student to serve on the ED&I Youth Advisory Committee
The FIRST ED&I Youth Advisory Committee (YAC) was established in December 2018. The inaugural 9 youth on the committee represent various regions across the U.S. and Canada. The Youth Advisory Committee develops ED&I projects and outreach initiatives. The committee was designed to uplift youth leadership and youth voice at FIRST. To date, the YAC has played an instrumental role in creating an ED&I Youth Animation Video and three training modules ( https://info.firstinspires.org/youth-edi-training), and outreach plans to connect with youth at FIRST. Below is more information about the requirements and expectations of the committee.
Who is eligible?
- Students must be a FIRST® Robotics Competition or FIRST® Tech Challenge team member (globally)
- We encourage recent graduates (Class of 2019) to apply if they are planning on serving as a coach or mentor for the upcoming season
- Requirements to apply: A mentor or coach must nominate the student for YAC
- The student must write a brief interest statement
- If selected, the student must commit to regular 1-hour meetings (held virtually; monthly in the past)
- The new ED&I Youth Advisory Committee will begin meeting in October of 2019
- Students must commit to a one-year term on the committee
- The nomination form will be open until August 5, 2019
- Coaches or adult mentors must fill out this nomination form